The hotel close to the cathedral
The building at Vorderer Bach 4, opposite the wall around the old cathedral castle, was built in 1520 for canon Willibald von Redwitz on the site of an old house. In about 1740, General Major Christian Ernst von Aufseeß gave the building an elegant facade and had the interior refurnished, probably by J.H. Dientzenhofer.
From 1975 onwards the building, which had been taken into city ownership by now, was refurbished and modernised. Since June 1977 it has been providing guests from all over the world with a taste of how marvellous it is to live in Bamberg’s old city.
The hotel has 19 rooms with 36 beds. All rooms have a recently renovated bathroom with shower/wc , TV, telephone and water boiler. There is also an elevator. A limited number of public parking places are available in front of the hotel. Bicycles can be parked in our secure inner courtyard, free of charge.
The historical arched room from the 14th century, which is used as the breakfast room and for events, as well as some carefully preserved rarities from the baroque period give the house a special atmosphere.
The windows offer fantastic views of the cathedral and the historic center. All places of interest in the old island city are in walking distance, as well as a wide range of gastronomic specialties.
|1392||Mentioned for the first time in official documents, ownership Kulenmach – House number 2002|
|1505||Baron Willibald and Johann von Redwitz|
|1582||Sebastian Huls, baronial Bamberger manciple for »Haus zum Walfisch«|
|1602||Mentioned in city maps of land surveyor Petrus Zweidler as well|
|1747||Highness Christian Ernst von Aufseeß, member estate council and court-martial of the heritage royal bishop of Bamberg / The building gets it’s baroque exterior|
|Heinrich Heidenheimer, hop merchant – Hop trade by Jul. Früh / Gebr. Katz / Max Früh|
|1937||Fritz Bosch, master locksmith|
|1953||Heinrich Bosch, master locksmith – until 1964 – attempts to renovate|
|1964||Evacuation of the building because of damage – empty until 1977|
|1973||Bavarian Monument Care|
|Renovation to save the building|
|Since Juli 1977 – Barockhotel am Dom|
|2009||Renovation of all bathrooms / block heating station assambled|